When God closes a door, He always opens a window. When I finished my student teaching, I realized that college was over and this little colloquial saying came to mind. God closed a door. Now where is my window? I know that my window is Teach for America in Eastern North Carolina but right now it seems so far away. I also started thinking about this little saying much more than I probably should have. When God closes a door...- God closing doors in our lives is a blessing. How often though do I refuse to let Him shut it and put some sort of emotional door wedge that prevents the door from closing? Sometimes we try so desperately to keep the door open to look out onto people and events the way we would like to remember them rather than the way it actually happened. We sugarcoat and highlight times and events in our lives that were good and completely forget the times that were bad. We also might do the opposite- stubbornly refuse to see the good in a situation in which we didn't come out on top. I'm just a guilty of that as the next guy. ….He always opens a window. Trust isn't something that comes easily to me. How often do I cling to that emotional wedge holding the door open because I'm so deeply terrified that God isn't going to open a window? I'm so afraid He's going to leave me in this little room with just me and my thoughts. One of my biggest fears in life is being alone. I've spent enough time at my University however, to know that being alone is where God is free to do His most effective work. No matter what your belief in God is, I bet that moments of silence have prompted some of your most poignant revelations about who you are as person. Maybe this is where God wants me to be right now while He's working on constructing the window. Alone with my thoughts. Confronting my dragons head on. I just need to trust that there WILL be a window and it will look out onto something so much more beautiful than I ever imagined!
Saturday, December 28, 2013
When God closes a door, He always opens a window. When I finished my student teaching, I realized that college was over and this little colloquial saying came to mind. God closed a door. Now where is my window? I know that my window is Teach for America in Eastern North Carolina but right now it seems so far away. I also started thinking about this little saying much more than I probably should have. When God closes a door...- God closing doors in our lives is a blessing. How often though do I refuse to let Him shut it and put some sort of emotional door wedge that prevents the door from closing? Sometimes we try so desperately to keep the door open to look out onto people and events the way we would like to remember them rather than the way it actually happened. We sugarcoat and highlight times and events in our lives that were good and completely forget the times that were bad. We also might do the opposite- stubbornly refuse to see the good in a situation in which we didn't come out on top. I'm just a guilty of that as the next guy. ….He always opens a window. Trust isn't something that comes easily to me. How often do I cling to that emotional wedge holding the door open because I'm so deeply terrified that God isn't going to open a window? I'm so afraid He's going to leave me in this little room with just me and my thoughts. One of my biggest fears in life is being alone. I've spent enough time at my University however, to know that being alone is where God is free to do His most effective work. No matter what your belief in God is, I bet that moments of silence have prompted some of your most poignant revelations about who you are as person. Maybe this is where God wants me to be right now while He's working on constructing the window. Alone with my thoughts. Confronting my dragons head on. I just need to trust that there WILL be a window and it will look out onto something so much more beautiful than I ever imagined!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment