Saturday, October 12, 2013

Life Update

      So clearly I suck at keeping people updated on my life. Its something I'm working on. I've realized though that I cant get angry at people for not putting forth effort into keeping in touch when I don't at least reciprocate it. So anyway- an update on my life currently:

1. I'm student teaching!!! Ahhh!! This video basically sums up how I feel about the entire thing. The only thing that needs to be changed is the ranting about a cheating husband and replace it with incoherent ranting about student teaching and lesson plans and Teacher Preparation Assessments. I feel like I'm constantly fighting against the temptation to just drop out and lay around my house all day.

 But in that moment, I'm reminded of Saint Paul's letter to the Corinthians where he talks about how Christ said to him 'My grace is sufficient for you because my power is made perfect in weakness.' Yeah yeah. You must be pretty powerful then, buddy boy, because in this moment I feel like I'm pretty equivalent with those ants that people squish for fun.


2. I'm doing Teach for America!! I got the job back in May and found out that I will be going to Eastern North Carolina! That was a whirlwind and a total God-send, to be honest. I am the exact opposite of what they hire. Literally. I'm white, middle class, prep-school educated, and I go to a small liberal arts college. I applied on the very last day applications were being accepted and I felt like I totally blew the phone interview. When I got the email that they wanted me to go to the next stage of the process in DC, I legitimately thought it was a joke. Despite my doubts, I drove down to our nation's capital and stayed with my dear friend Annie. I interviewed with 6 other people, all of whom were either from Harvard or Brown. I really wish that I had gotten the day on camera. I was a neon pink peplum top amongst suits and ties. I taught a lesson on shoe tying and the guy next to me taught a lesson on Ernest Hemingway. I figured about half way through the interview day that I probably wasn't going to get the job anyway so I just kind of threw caution to the wind and went for it. In my one on one interview, I was honest. I was blunt. I criticized that company but made suggestions as to how to make it better. I told them that when I started college, I didn't want to be a teacher but I find myself graduating with an education degree. I told my interviewer that all I really wanted to do was love people. I left the interview feeling like, even though I wasn't getting the job, I had been honest and maybe gave the interviewer something to think about.  2 weeks later, sitting in the back of the 'bane of my existence' family van, I received the email. The tag line was just- CONGRATULATIONS!!. I was pretty sure I was going to open it and it was going to say something along the lines of: I didn't even say anything to my mom, who was in the car. I opened the email and it directed me to log into my account to see where I would be placed. Again, I was pretty sure I was going to open it and it was going to say Location: None. Nice try, Barbie. So I logged into my account and panic flooded every fiber of my being. I had been accepted. I had been placed.
CONGRATULATIONS .......on your rejection. You made it pretty far. Nice try though. I was going to North Carolina. My mom knew that I had been waiting for this email and, just earlier, she had been telling me that even if I didn't get the job, at least it was good to have the interview experience. I turned and looked at her. I asked how much a Uhal to North Carolina would be. She then proceeded to veer off the road in a reciprocated shock and surprise. Then the phone chain started- Daddy was called. Aunt Rie was called. Susie and Jess were called. More updates in this area will come soon. I'm going south, y'all!!

3. No, I am not dating anyone. And you know what? I'm ok with that right now. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about being a wife and a mommy but I realize that what I'm doing right now with my life is preparing me to be the best that I can be. There WILL be a separate blog post on this, however, so I'm going to stop this here before I rant forever.

That's about all I have time for right now because those lesson plans are calling my name. More soon <3

No comments:

Post a Comment